The Bottom Line
The Cascade Internal Filters are great for animal tanks that are only partially filled with water. These internal filters are completely submersible and filter the water that aquatic turtles, amphibians, and other aquatic species spend most of their time in.
- Sponge cartridges can be rinsed out and reused, cutting down on costs
- Carbon cartridges can be rinsed and refilled with carbon of your choice
- Suction cups don't detach from the filter so it doesn't float away
- Very quiet
- Water flow nozzles detach easily
- Sponge cartridges are not fine mesh to catch very small particles
- Slits in filter may be too large for small aquatic animals
- Power cord may be too short if the power supply is not close to the tank
- Manufactured by Penn-Plax
- Constructed of blue plastic
- Comes with one sponge filter and one carbon cartridge
- Several different sizes to choose from to accommodate tank size
- Comes with detachable nozzle and aeration bar
- Fully submersible
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Can be completely disassembled to clean
Guide Review - Cascade Internal Filter by Penn-Plax
The Cascade Internal Filter is a plastic filter that can be placed vertically or horizontally within a tank, and suction cupped to the wall if desired. It has a detachable compartment for housing a sponge filter cartridge to filter out any waste matter. There is also space in the Cascade Internal Filter for a refillable carbon cartridge to help keep the water clear. A detachable nozzle can be rotated to direct the clean water flow that comes out of the filter. A long aeration bar with holes on one side is used to direct water to the middle and opposite end of the tank and aerate the water.
Overall, this is a great filter for the money. My turtle tank has clear water constantly and I don’t even use the carbon cartridge. I rinse and reuse the same sponge cartridge every couple of months and I only need to do complete water changes once or twice a year. With the old under gravel filter set-up, the water was never this clean and the filter wasn't as easy to maintain. The Cascade Internal Filter by Penn-Plax proved to be reliable, quiet, easy to clean, and cost effective.