1. Home
Adrienne Kruzer, RVT

Ohio Exotic Pet Laws Change

By January 15, 2011

As of January 6th, Governor Strickland signed a new law into effect just daysbefore leavingofficebanning the animals that have long been discussed in Ohio.

The new Governor-elect Kasich will review the law before making it permanent but is expected to keep it in place.

There are mixed opinions regarding exotic pet lawswith opposersciting American freedom andproponents forprotecting the public. Many Ohioans are excited about this law change because of the recent bear attack on a young man in Columbia Station, Ohio.

What are your thoughts on banning dangerous exotic animals?

Photo Getty Images/Ryan McVay

Comments

January 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(1) Peg says:

I’m glad the general public will be better protected from animals that do not belong in our back yards.

January 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm
(2) William says:

I believe that if someone is going to own an exotic pet then they should be given proper instructions on how to raise them properly and have contact via e-mail with the person they bought the animal from for at least a month to see if the animal is being properly taken care of.

February 4, 2011 at 10:35 am
(3) EricWI says:

To my knowledge, only 4 exotic animal related fatalities have ever occurred in history in the state of Ohio, all involving the owner or keeper who voluntarily chose to accept whatever risks were involved with keeping and handling that animal. No third party or otherwise uninvolved member of the public has been killed or injured by an escaped reptile.

Likewise, how many members of the public in Ohio each year alone have been seriously or even fatally injured by horses, domestic dogs, automobiles, golf clubs, kitchen knives, swimming pools, household tools, staplers, and even other people? Plastic grocery bages? Against the law too!

February 5, 2011 at 12:04 am
(4) exoticpets says:

Haha, grocery bags. Yes, the tiny number of incidents of exotic pets compared to the massive number of, well, everything else that has hurt people as you have mentioned is ridiculous. I feel the reptiles (except for the poisonous ones) were just tagged onto the bill because of what other states have done. Do I think banning pythons is going to make the public safer? No.

February 21, 2011 at 10:06 am
(5) bill says:

Black bears are protected in Ohio and are free to roam Ohio. They may be in your backyard or mine, and you can do nothing about it. The ban on exotic animals in Ohio is just wrong. Maybe we should ban guns, cars, fat people, and stupid people. They are more of a danger to Ohio than any exotic animal. Wake up people.

June 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(6) TJackson says:

I think a lot more dogs kill people than pet bears or other exotic animals do. I don’t see anyone trying to ban dogs. This isn’t about hurting people, it’s about people thinking it’s unfair to the animal. Never mind that the animal might have been worse off before and was rescued.

June 2, 2011 at 9:32 am
(7) exoticpets says:

See Ohio Exotic Pet Ban Ends for updated information on this topic. It is still a tough topic but I hope someone can figure out the best course of action to take for everyone.

October 20, 2011 at 8:27 am
(8) Callie says:

I own a bobcat in the youngstown area. I’ve had him for over 8 years now. He is like my son. I love him to death! What am I supposed to do now? Just kill him? Let the authorities take him to be killed? Come on! Some of us actually take care of our pets and do not give them a chance to hurt other people! This is insane. All because of a few careless owners….How about the idiots that own pit bulls? They arent outlawed. There are a lot more pit bull attacks than there are exotic animal attacks….