1. Home

Snakes can make good pets for the right person. Keep in mind that most snakes are carnivores, so you will have to supply their prey, but they do have the advantage of not needing to eat very often. A few snakes eat insects, but these are harder to keep and are not good for beginners.

If you are considering a snake as a pet, Snakes as Pets can help you figure out if a snake is right for you, what you should look for in a snake, and some good species for beginners.

Image: Corn Snakes by Lianne McLeod DVM

Comments

June 29, 2007 at 10:03 pm
(1) Jacob LaGrange says:

I would like to correct a mistake posted on the page titled ‘Snakes as pets’. The page says “they are pretty much all carnivores…”, but I have never heard of a snake eating anything other than another animal. If im mistaken please forgive me.

July 1, 2007 at 2:39 pm
(2) Lianne says:

You aren’t mistaken – just my informal way of writing (I basically mean “all” not “almost all”). Incidentally, some snakes (e.g. green snakes) are insectivores and I’ve had people argue vehemently with me that insectivores aren’t carnivores, technically (though I think they are). Just a matter of semantics I guess. A more precise statement: no snakes are herbivores; they all eat other living things.

June 27, 2008 at 4:14 pm
(3) Lydia says:

Umm, I am pretty sure plants are considered “living things”.

June 27, 2008 at 4:48 pm
(4) lianne says:

LOL, whoops. That is definitely true; I dug myself in deeper with that comment! I was trying to convey that they all take prey items as opposed to plants. Actually I recommend NOT feeding live prey so I got kind of off base there. I guess it would have been safer just to say that there are no herbivorous snakes.

May 31, 2009 at 10:01 pm
(5) Eric says:

Lianne, I’m surprised you don’t recommend red tailed boas. I say if you’ve read up on them and know hiw large they become that they will make a fine starter snake. Everyone has different capabilities.

As for venomous snakes (Hots) and large constrictors, only experienced herpetoculturists should keep them. There are people who can responsibly keep them though, so it is unfair for you to say no one can keep them. I know of many who keep and breed Retics without any incident.

May 31, 2009 at 10:15 pm
(6) Eric says:

I forgot to add, that I think that if someone is knowledgeable and experienced enough, that they should be able to obtain the species they like. I happen to like Retics.
Yes, I would probably make the same recommendations you have to those who are young and/or a novice in this hobby and I have kept those, but again, everyone has different capabilities. Are you for or against this hobby Lianne? Divide and conquer will kill the hobby, I think that everyone should band together to in these battles to keep our reptiles, regardless of what they choose to keep.

June 2, 2009 at 7:59 pm
(7) FTV Tara says:

lol! snakes- are not pets. They are cold-hearted wild animals. I dont like snakes.

June 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm
(8) Eric says:

“I dont like snakes.”

Well, that says alot about your post, FTV Tara. Snakes are indeed pets for many people.

No snake is “cold-hearted”. They are simply animals that operate on instinct in order to survive. Obviously they do not have a conscience or the ability to distinguish right from wrong the way humans can.