1. Home
In our continuing series on pet names, let's talk about chinchilla names. There are quite a few great chinchilla names in the chinchilla names list I started before, but I'm always interested in how people chose their names. Did you have names picked out before you got your chinchillas? Or did you wait to see what your chinchilla was like before settling on a name? Please share your chinchillas' names by adding them to the comments section below. Feel free to note how you chose names too! I hope to compile all these names to update the master list of Chinchilla Names, as well.

Image © Lianne McLeod

Comments

November 10, 2008 at 12:23 pm
(1) Gary Gogel says:

My wife and I named our Chinchilla POGO, after the popular punk dance of our wasted youth. The pogo entailed jumping up and down and our chin likes to leap. Pogo, however, is also the name of Walt Kelley’s famous opossum from the comics. In keeping with this tradition we named our rabbit Bongo after Matt Groening’s one eared bunny from LIFE IN HELL.

November 22, 2008 at 2:33 pm
(2) Lauren says:

My chinchilla is named Pikachu! I think the people who created Pokemon must have modeled the aforementioned character after chins– at least in part!

December 1, 2008 at 10:15 pm
(3) Mike says:

My wife and I named our chinchilla Slingo b/c when we first got her she shot around our room like something out of a slingshot.

December 3, 2008 at 8:01 pm
(4) Grace says:

How about the name Poppy?

December 6, 2008 at 6:20 am
(5) Rhian says:

I named my chinchilla Princess Chica because she is really bautiful ike a princess and i got the nae chica from a book

December 10, 2008 at 8:29 pm
(6) Carla says:

I actually named my chinchilla before I even got him, it was suppose to be a surprise for Christmas, however, the secret was out, so I named him Mr. shifu after the master in kung fu panda. I may change my mind when I get him, but for right now that will be his name, and I am so excited!!!

December 24, 2008 at 6:42 pm
(7) Brit says:

For some reason the name Skittles seems suiting for any chinchilla(especially of amazingly playful nature)…
Or maybe i just have a sweet tooth for both of them. Who knows. ^_^

January 2, 2009 at 2:46 am
(8) Raychael says:

well we went shopping last sunday and i wanted to go into this pet store and there were 2 chinchillas there. which are very rare around here. and i was excited because my dad had never seen one before and i had researched them alot and had previously wanted one. well i asked to hold one and fell in love. and so did my family. as i was holding him the picture of my dads best friends son popped in my mind. he lives in florida and we live in indiana so i was very attatched to him on vacation and i missed him very very much and so i ended up walking out of the store with Cooper =].
[[sorry its long. it was longer until i edited it.]]

January 5, 2009 at 3:22 am
(9) marne says:

We’ve got several chins here. We named most of them after we had them, and then gave them a middle Jewish name according to the closest holiday. Their names generally just came out of my mouth as we were either going home with the new chin or else during playtime. We have Pepper, Earnest Anselm, Mei-Mei, Cheel, Johan, Thaddeus and Hymie. Cheel and Thad came with their names. Then of the rescues, we renamed five of them (Esther, Julietta, Babbette, Wubbzy and Lexi), and then Sage, Gus-Gus, Anika, Sebastian, Eva, Dexter, Cheeko, Naomi and Chilli all came with their names.

January 5, 2009 at 4:35 pm
(10) bre says:

we named our male gizmo from the movie gremlins, and the female binx which i came up with from star wars jar jar and binx. silly since jar jar was a boy, but it fits our black chinchilla well.

January 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm
(11) Tiffany says:

We named our first chinnie before we got him. I was trying to explain what a chinchilla was to my children (then 12 and 13). When I said “They are kept in a cage…”, my son thought I said Captain Cage. It stuck! That’s how Captain Cage got his name.

January 9, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(12) sandie says:

my first 2 rescue chins were Peppa and Gizmo (Giz from Gremlins). My third I called Harley just because I liked the name….My fourth and fifth are Shelby (after a fast car)(my sons choice) and finally little Rolo. Called so because hes small and sweet!

January 14, 2009 at 4:47 pm
(13) ashley casteel says:

I got my chinchilla when he was about 3 to 4 months old. Well, when I first got him, he would nibble on my finger, or chew on my clothes. So i decided to name him munchie. :) but my dad calls him MUNJI though. oh well, he has to names.

January 19, 2009 at 12:19 pm
(14) Brynn says:

I named my chinchilla chip… idk y but i did…. lol :-D

January 19, 2009 at 7:44 pm
(15) Lissa says:

I named my chin “Buttons” because when I first held him he started nibbling on the buttons on my blouse! He’s now about 15 years old and going strong. My nickname for him is “Buttony-boo”.

January 21, 2009 at 1:43 am
(16) Jennifer says:

We currently have 11 chinchillas, and our four rescues came pre-named, although we did change one of them. We found four at a garage sale, and one of them gave birth to babies. Our first chin is from a pet shop. Their names and where we got them from are:

Andy: Standard that my nieces named after the Andes mountains (and the little boy from Toy Story)
Cullen: Tan who was originally Papi, renamed for a character from the Twilight novels
Calvin and Hobbes: Brothers named for the comic strip
Fibel: Beige, from the character in An American Tail
Dash (Beige) and Violet (Black Velvet) are the two kids in The Incredibles
Stewie (Beige FEMALE) and Brian (White mosaic) are the baby and dog from Family Guy. They have two babies: Boo (standard girl) and Scout (a mosaic boy) are characters from To Kill A Mockingbird.

January 22, 2009 at 7:35 pm
(17) Kacee & Preston says:

Our Chinchilla Came with his name when we got him. my aunt couldnt have him anymore so she gave him to us. His name is Optimus Prime from the movie transformers. We call him optimus for short. we were told if we wangted to change his name we could, but Optimus really seems to fit him. i believe he is a white mosaic chin. he is mostly white with a little gray.

January 28, 2009 at 7:33 pm
(18) Lindsay says:

I named my baby chinchilla “Chancho” after the character in Nacho Libre. It suits him quite well!

January 29, 2009 at 9:11 pm
(19) Egon says:

i named my charcoal colored chinchilla MORTIMER!!

January 29, 2009 at 10:07 pm
(20) Katy says:

I just named my chin Elmo. If it were a girl I was going to name her Mango. My first chin was named Kiwi. I also like Grayer, Oakley, Grover, Astro and Joey.

February 5, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(21) CYNTASIA says:

MY CHIN NAME IS ZUKEUS HE IS VERY CUTE HE WAS GIVEN TO ME FROM A FAMILY FRIEND

February 15, 2009 at 4:46 pm
(22) neo says:

first we got Zoo-zoo why is short Zuko then we got our baby Aang and then we got a rescue who looks grumpy so his name is Soka
we kinda have an avatar theme going all were named after we got them but i think they are kool names for chins

February 16, 2009 at 2:15 pm
(23) Genevieve says:

My favorite chin name of all time is Pudge (for obvious reasons). After that, it’s Ryo-Okie (from the old anime, Tenshi Muyo).

February 20, 2009 at 4:40 pm
(24) Rachel! says:

I named mine “Fezzik” after Andre the Giant in Princess Bride cuz his fur makes him look friggin’ huge. He’s sooo cute!

February 26, 2009 at 2:18 am
(25) Chelsea says:

I named my bluish-grey male Lemiwinks after the gerbil in Southpark, my cream-colored one Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (before I realized “he” was a “she”); they in turn had two babies who I named Cheech and Chong until I sexed them and the little cream-colored one is Nilla(female) after the wafer and the little bluish-grey one Indy(male) after Indiana Jones because he’s a daredevil!

March 1, 2009 at 2:18 pm
(26) chris says:

We have had several chinchillas
1. Smokey (color)
2. Belle (after Disney character)
3. Little Chin (we always call them that)
4. Sugar (white chin- after table sugar)
5. Nibbles
6. Peanut
7. Whiskers
8. Albus (Albus Dumbledor from H. Potter)
9. Obama (born day after election day)

March 6, 2009 at 8:51 pm
(27) Stacey says:

I have 7 Chinchillas and theirs names are: Huerito, Sophia, CJ(chewy jr.), Blanco, Butterball, Baby, and Bonita.

March 8, 2009 at 11:10 am
(28) tiffany and annmarie says:

We named our chinchilla bushy because our older sisters had a chinchilla who they missed very much so we decided to give ours the same name. We also liked the name because he has a bushy tail.

March 10, 2009 at 8:27 pm
(29) Ersa (a.k.a. Chicky) says:

I got my first chinchilla in 3rd grade (im in5 now) The males name is chong from the movie chech and chong becauce i named the girl Chichi (CHInCHIlla PUN!!)so in the car on the way home mom said “hey name the boy chong” so i did chi chi has long scince died
the first baby died because he 8 rat poisning so i think the first chi chi died of grief our next chichi had twins: Fuzz mc muzz and mud puddleFuzz mc muzz died but mud puddle is going strong!! here r thier colors:chong is gray both chichiswere white Fuzzmcmuzz was white and mud puddle is (of corse brown!) so im sorry if i have any spelling errors im in 5th grade cut me some slack here!! so respect all chinchillas they r people in fur suits so loveall yall chin owners out there!!! =)

March 21, 2009 at 4:14 pm
(30) olivia says:

we have two chinchillas. a female black velvet named Andrew Jackson and a male white mosaic named James Madison….we name all our pets after presidents…lol

March 29, 2009 at 3:10 pm
(31) Lea says:

I also named my chinchilla Pikachu. My cousin got a chin a few weeks before me and asked for suggestions(She eventually chose Milo), my favorite chin names were stitch and pikachu, so when I got my chin I chose pikachu, because I’ve always been a pokemon fan.

April 2, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(32) *..pAu..* says:

I named mi chinchilla Onyx because of the color of its fur^^

April 6, 2009 at 12:55 am
(33) Kari says:

I have Stuart Little(white with a grey spot on his left butt cheek) and Oscar (grey). If Stuart would have been a girl, he would have been called Moon and if Oscar would have been a girl he would have been called Cloud. We have truly enjoyed their antics and would love to add more Chins to our home.

April 12, 2009 at 2:18 pm
(34) Kate Swiss says:

I named my chinchilla Freddy because of his great personality! (named after freddy mercury)

April 15, 2009 at 12:54 am

7. Acacia
8. Willow
Boys:
Puff
Chunk
Spirit and 1 unnamed little boy
1 newborn baby (not sure if its a boy or girl yet)

I love them all so much!

April 15, 2009 at 12:58 am
(36) Jessica says:

I have 13 beautiful chinchillas.
6 Black Velvet girls: Nightshade, Ivy, Sequoia, Acacia, Willow, and a newborn baby!
One beige girl: Hyacinth
2 Gray girls: Lily and Coral
3 Gray Boys: Chunk, Spirit, and new baby boy!
One Hetero Ebony boy: Puff
I love them all! Very sweet, smart, and fun!

April 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm
(37) Tristen says:

My chinchillas name is Cottonballs! because it’s big and white!

April 30, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(38) Ro says:

I named my chin Bowie.. After David Bowie. Tried to name him all the boy character names from Labyrinth and none seemed to fit right. Bowie was the obvious choice.

May 4, 2009 at 5:59 am
(39) Kat says:

Couldn’t decide on a name. So my friend said why not Ella. I was either gonna name her Ella,Besty,or Ginger after Ginger Rogers. Stuck with Ella. She seems to like that. By the way she’s a companion to my friends chin Flower. She also has a boy chin named chili. we love them all.

May 10, 2009 at 8:14 pm
(40) Jordan says:

I had just got a chinchilla three weeks ago. He was jumping around like crazy in the pet store which make me come up with the name “Jitters.”
I love him.

May 21, 2009 at 1:34 pm
(41) amie says:

I haven’t got a chinchilla at the moment i lost mine 2 weeks ago and i am still griving over him his name was charlie and we spent 12 very happy wonderful years together i miss him so very much. If i was to get another chin i would call it charlotte for a girl(tribute to charlie) and rocco(from rocco’s modern life, a cartoon i used to watch when i was younger) if its a boy. love to all chinchillas!! R.I.P CHARLIE love you babe!

May 21, 2009 at 9:14 pm
(42) Rachel says:

i have a chinchillla named Chewy and i ♥ him

May 25, 2009 at 5:29 pm
(43) Cat says:

Fuzz Buzz is the best name. I love names that rhyme. like…
Friz Brizz
fluff puff
fluff n stuff

May 28, 2009 at 10:04 am
(44) Angel says:

My chinchillas names are Cutie Pie and Precious. Their nicknames are little booger! They are sooooo cute

June 1, 2009 at 8:13 am
(45) steve says:

My first chinchilla was called zimzimmer (zim for short). Unfortunately he died 2 months ago, aged 4.