1. Home

How Did You Name Your Ferret?

By September 29, 2008

ferret pictureBecause I am so absolutely awful at picking pet names, I like to hear what others have named their pets. I am always amazed at how clever some people are with names, or touched by how well people match up their names with their pets' personalities. And I'm always interested in whether people have names ready when their pets come home, or whether they wait to get a glimpse of what their pets are like before they name them. For me, I always seem to get stuck on names that I have associated with pets I have known in the past. I stopped collecting pet names for a while because I couldn't keep up, but I miss seeing how you all are naming your pets, so I'd like to get started again by having you share your ferrets' names by adding them to the comments section below. Feel free to note how you chose names too! Eventually, I hope to find time to compile all these names to update the master list of Ferret Names, too. Let's keep it to ferrets here; each week I'll start a new post for different kinds of pets. So let's get by sharing names for ferrets here!

Photo © Lianne McLeod

Comments

September 29, 2008 at 11:34 am
(1) David L says:

Being a reader of Military History, I named my ferrets Ridgeway, Nimitz and Wellington.

September 29, 2008 at 11:36 am
(2) Cheryl says:

Gizmo is a gift from God–seriously. I’d been feeding wild raccoons who came to my patio on the river for handouts for years. They eventually brought their babies, who now bring their babies. I often commented that I’d “love to hold a baby raccoon”, but knowing the hazards, never did. One day, I saw something under the sofa on the patio that I thought was a baby oppossum–we have those too. To my sheer amazement, it was a ferret!!! After much advertisement on the web, paper, flyers, etc., no one claimed him. While waiting, I FORCED myself not to name him and tried not to become attached knowing that someone certainly would claim the handsome fellow. It’s now 3 months later, and not a peep from ANYONE! In the meantime, I fell deeply in love with the fuzzball, and had a very difficult time naming him. Just before his first vet visit, I new I’d have to give them a name for the records, and thought back to our first meeting. He was the “mystery” animal under the couch, and nothing seemed appropriate but describing the experience as as “finding a little gizmo on my patio”. Unfortunately, Gizmo has leukemia and has grown quite frail. He also has a severe heart murmur. The vet has aged him at 4-5 years. We think he was dumped due to the illness, and I like to think that God knew I didn’t have any pets, save for the wild ones, and that I needed something to cuddle. Gizmo needed someone to cuddle him, so, we were both blessed on the same day, me and my little Gizmo.

September 29, 2008 at 12:18 pm
(3) Linda says:

I have four ferrets. The first is Pandora because the minute we let her out of her box, she was “trouble”! Then I have a very little female who I named Whisper because she was no bigger than a little whisper. The last two are boys who never stop moving so they are called Jitterbug and Jazz because they have dancing feet.

September 29, 2008 at 12:20 pm
(4) georgia says:

Loki is the name i have for my little guy Loki was the God of mischief. And it fits him well

September 29, 2008 at 1:07 pm
(5) Kim LaFond says:

My 8 year-old daughter named her new silvermint baby, Larry. She said he just looked like a Larry!

September 29, 2008 at 1:15 pm
(6) Dana says:

My daughter named her new female albino ferret Fangtasia after the vampire bar in the Charlaine Harris series of books about Sookie Stackhouse. There is also a new show on HBO about the books as well called True Blood. We thought it was cute.

September 29, 2008 at 2:08 pm
(7) Cindy D says:

We got both ours from the same person who needed to rehome them. Fatbutt aka (Tater)was just huge and never got out to play. He was renamed b/c they thought he was a she. Pica kept her name and they got her from someone who’d named her that.

September 29, 2008 at 2:39 pm
(8) Raina-Cape Coral, Fl says:

My first ferret had an original name of Stolen, which I changed to Stacy, then I got her a cage mate I love Irish names so he became Keegan(died after 23 days)I also have an Ingrid (just love the name), Noel was an early Christmas gift to me from my petstore that I love, then I got another and was told it was a boy so I called him Seth, that turned out to be a girl, so I changed it to Sandy, then I got my boy and his name is Seth, these are all names I love.

September 29, 2008 at 3:40 pm
(9) Pati says:

We are owned by three fuzzballz! Our first is call Sir Scoop of the Fudge Ripples aka Scoop or Bubba he is quiet large and pancakes all the time. Our second is a lovely silver girl with many delightful freckles who just went crazy out of the box and was dully dubbed Luna-tic aka Luna and our last fuzzy came home with the named Houdini because he was trying so hard to escape the box and then once we really spent time with him his name changed to Turbeau he is incredibly fast and has the most beautiful markings, and we call him Beau.
They are the three stooges that keep us laughing always, what a gift they are.

September 29, 2008 at 9:26 pm
(10) Yvonne says:

Our first ferret was named Merlin. He turned out to be extremely wise. :) We called his cage-mate Stuart (as in Stuart Little), he was a red-eyed white. Then we rescued number three. She was a black-eyed white called Ruffian. (she was a very sweet gentle old girl)

October 1, 2008 at 8:51 am
(11) Gai says:

Hi, i named our two gorgeous spoilt babies Jethro & Ellie May after the characters in Beverly Hillbillies. I wanted a famous couple and those names just suite them !!

October 1, 2008 at 12:04 pm
(12) Cheryl says:

I have 3 ferrets that I just adore.Their names are Teddy Bear because hes so big & cuddly Then theres Zoey who my niece named & then theres Bailey,I just liked that name & it seemed to fit her

October 4, 2008 at 1:40 pm
(13) Annie D. says:

My three are Pixie, Yew, and Yogi

October 8, 2008 at 3:51 pm
(14) Carolyn says:

My daughter has one named Rascal. And he is a cute little Rascal.

October 11, 2008 at 9:03 am
(15) Jim says:

3 males (sable)Felony,Plunder and Pilage, 1 female (cinnamon) Misdemeanor.

October 12, 2008 at 7:01 pm
(16) Rebecca says:

I just got my first ferret today! She is an albino, who’s birthday is in October, (like mine!), so I decided to name her Opal, after our birth stone.

October 18, 2008 at 3:27 pm
(17) Candece says:

My ferret’s name is Magic, he certainly showed me 4 months of magic since I got him.

October 24, 2008 at 5:10 pm
(18) Huntington says:

We named our Ferret “Motley.” He surely lives up to his name, when he’s awake…

October 28, 2008 at 4:05 pm
(19) Lorena says:

Our ferret is 4 now and has become the love of our life. Her name is Elderberry.

October 29, 2008 at 2:39 pm
(20) kayla marie says:

i named my little boy smelly

November 3, 2008 at 12:08 am
(21) lisa says:

we adopted oue two lil girls from 2 ladys that could no longer handle caring for them .we got sable first and that was her name already we then adopted china as my husband was a fan of wrestling as well as i was ….

November 3, 2008 at 8:56 am
(22) Linda says:

I have four fur babies; Pooh is the oldest male butterscotch named after Winnie the, next is a little sable named Flower after the skunk in the Bambi movie, next is female silver mitt named Scout who is always on the move and lastly is our male silver mitt Nipper named for obvious reasons.

November 5, 2008 at 6:36 pm
(23) Autumn says:

We named our little guy Olie. He was my Christmas present, and it sort of sounded like Yule for Yule Tide… his nickname is Olie Molie. Everyone who meets him sings an Olie song, but mine is “Olieeee, Olie Molie, and Jelly”. It’s the Peanut Butter Jelly song. He’s deaf but I’m sure he loves it.

November 14, 2008 at 11:35 am
(24) Molly says:

My ferret’s name is Ed (Like Special Ed from Crank Yankers). He is so goofy that you can almost hear him thinking “I pooped in you shoe! YYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

November 25, 2008 at 8:16 am
(25) David says:

I have two ferrets, both male sables. My favorate band is a band called Skillet, so my older ferret was dubbed Skillet(though my friend calls him frying pan just to annoy me)

Now, my second ferret, I bought from a well known pet store, the employees called him Spaz, but for some reason that didn’t sit well with me. Now I had just gotten home with him and he was napping on my chest while I was watching Aliens, in the movie there is a character Private Hudson, he has a line that goes “Game over man, Game over” at this part in the movie, Spaz woke up and looked straight at me, I said “Hows ig going Hudson?” He hopped off me to go find something shiny to hide.

I will say that I love my Ferrets, I was going through a bit of deppression and they seemed to sense it and when out of the cage did anything to make me laugh. “Da Boys” as I call them are AWESOME!!!

November 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm
(26) wilie says:

I named my new ferret Coffebeans b/c of the colors on him an the way he acts he is the baddest lil ferret u have ever met

December 1, 2008 at 6:54 pm
(27) brittany-boo says:

I got my ferret for christmas 2008. I named her brittany-boo. Ilove her alot and so does my whole family.
Dallas

December 5, 2008 at 12:56 pm
(28) Nicole Anderson says:

Hi my name is Nicole and I have a 1 year old female ferret..I named her Rhayne and its fits her perfectly. She plays with my 3 year old mini german shepard and they are a joy to watch. She likes to steal straws out of cups,soda cans,remote controls,dog food,and also cat food

December 5, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(29) Knux the Fox says:

I just named my ferret “Tracks”, and I looked and that name wasn’t on the list. I think Tracks is a good name for a ferret, and just thought I’d share it.

December 15, 2008 at 8:21 pm
(30) Hunter says:

I have two ferrets. The first one is a sable and i got him for a christmas present. We named him Axle after the strange marking on his side. The second is a white with black eyes. We adopted him as a baby, we named Kaller but then we found out that he was a she so we re-named her. Her new name is Starlight because were sure her eyes really twinkle

December 19, 2008 at 2:44 pm
(31) Greg says:

I am a hardcore gamer, so I knew I’d be naming my ferret some Nintendo-themed name, but I was bargaining on a male ferret, since Nintendo has more plentiful male characters, but the one girl in the litter at PetSmart (PetCo?) just stole the show, and she had to be mine. So, hard pressed for a girl’s name from gamer lore, I settled on Samus, because she’s tough, fearless, and can roll up in a ball and loves to explore. It was a natural choice.

December 22, 2008 at 4:17 pm
(32) Sara says:

We have 4 ferrets.
The first one is a boy and his name is Fievel like from that move American Tail about that mouse.

The second is also a boy and is named Dante.

The third is a girl and her name is Eris which is the goddess of chaos

The fourth one is also a boy and his name is Weezy. He falls asleep to the music of Little wayne.

December 25, 2008 at 9:23 pm
(33) Dorothy & Jada says:

We just got our first ferret Christmas eve. We picked her out of several. She just seemed to take to us. On the way home we were trying to come up with a name. We finally decided on “Poppy”. She kept popping out of the carry box.

January 2, 2009 at 1:02 pm
(34) cheryl sailor says:

We purchased my female ferret on Mardi Gras which became her name. Mardi is a nice short name for a female. Also Mardi Gras is a mischievous holiday and a mischievous ferret!

January 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(35) kelly says:

i have two ferrets called Sam and Jasmine and i love them to bits, i have had Sam for over a year now and jasmine 5 months. i got them both from different ferret rescues centers. Sam is so funny he does what he likes n when he likes lol, n jasmine is all me sitting on my lap, i only have to stand up and shes under my feet to make sure i dont run off lol.
ferrets are so cute! i love them both!

January 8, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(36) Marie Case says:

My ferret is called ReeBoo because my niece, who was 2yrs old at the time, thought she was a rabbit and thats how she said rabbit! so it stuck REEBOO!

January 17, 2009 at 1:42 pm
(37) Esther says:

My ferrets name is Flower Daphne, Flower is for the mercats main character and daphne is from fraiser, one of my favorite sitcams

January 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm
(38) Annette says:

i have 3 ferrets. the 1st ferret got named colby by my then boyfriend. he was a huge penguin hockey fan so he choose to name him after colby armstrong (the then penguin player). our 2nd ferret took on the name jack. i dont know what it was, but i just looked at him and said jack! now that we think of it, many people that don’t appreciate the lil angels call them rats… and rats are said to eat cheese… and there is a colby-jack cheese! lastly, my 3rd ferrets name is thumper. he is named thumper cause my mother held him on his back and thumped his little bunny like foot with her finger and said “thump, thump, thump!”

January 20, 2009 at 5:05 pm
(39) thera says:

Hi! I just got a male ferret about 4 days ago, and we named him Poto. He is such a cutey! The first time I said Poto, he came right to it!

January 23, 2009 at 12:46 pm
(40) Sammi says:

I named my ferret Sawyer, after the character on LOST!

January 23, 2009 at 5:18 pm
(41) daniella says:

my ferret’s name is Ferret. it suits her.

i

i lo

i

January 28, 2009 at 8:46 pm
(42) Abby says:

I got three ferrets brother is the name of my male and he is like a brother or an gariden to me. frostfur is the name of one of my females i got it from a book i read along time a go and it suites her and last but not least is foxy with her sweet personatly and sassy attiude!

January 31, 2009 at 7:47 pm
(43) Dara says:

If you run into anyone that thinks ferrets can talk, blame me…I named my ferret “Askum”

February 1, 2009 at 12:42 am
(44) Robert says:

I haven’t had a ferret yet but I really really want one! I think I want a little white or silver female. Some friends of mine have had ferrets before with the names: Zander, Zaitus, Psymon (like Simon), and Malinorė (Mal-ee-nor-ay). When I get my ferret, im going to name a female: Sephron and/or a male: Mi’ko (Mee-ko)

February 4, 2009 at 4:48 pm
(45) Zero Kalvin says:

I named him Tantrum , it seemed appropriate.
he was hyperactive and reminded me of a dj I ued to know who lived on crystal meth. He was dj tantrum.

February 6, 2009 at 7:32 pm
(46) Natasha says:

My Ferret is named Skank she is a female black eyed white and full of piss and vinegar. She is a skank for sure. I am so glad we got her dont know how we lived without her

February 9, 2009 at 11:31 pm
(47) John Paul says:

Frank from M.A.S.H. Frank “Ferret Face” Burns

We just brought home a pair of 4 month old boys. Jumping Jack Flash – Yes he is a jumping jack and possibly the quickest ferret we have had. Valentino, an active pink eyed albino who has come home less than a week before Valentines Day.

February 21, 2009 at 8:04 pm
(48) Casandra says:

My 4 month old female name is chiquita means “little lady” in spanish. my boyfriend named her because she was very sweet like a little lady. love her dearly. got her 3 days before valentines day.

February 22, 2009 at 10:08 pm
(49) Noelle says:

These are my ferrets names

R.I.P. Sonny – because his fur is yellow

R.I.P. Milo – randomly named

R.I.P. Ratatouille (Remmy for short) – he looked like a rat

Roger – I didn’t name him, my cousin did.

Hana (Not Hanna or Hannah) – In japan it mean blossom and she blossoms with joy

Gizmo – named by previous owner and it fits him

February 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm
(50) lissa says:

me and my 3 girls are new ferret owners. i decided on getting a ferret because of there playful and loving personalities. we got a light sable colored ferret and he was so intriguing we decided to name him mozart. he so fits his name and is very unique, we all love him very much and maybe one day we will add to our ferret family!

March 1, 2009 at 11:37 pm
(51) Jiffy says:

My boyfriend and I got our first ferret the day that a video game he was excited about came out. So we named all of our ferret from the video games Devil May Cry.

Our first was a sable blazk named Nero, then an albino; Dante, and our panda girl Kayrie. Then I got a black sable Virgil and a black eyed white; Lucia. I love my little guys

March 3, 2009 at 10:17 am
(52) Lori * Ryan says:

Our little Albino with pink eyes was basically
crammed in my truck with my friend saying take
her, take her before my boyfriend drop kicks her into the fire station parking lot next door! She came with a 3 level condo, food, snacks, toys, litter,leash, brush, shampoo, a book,bedding, everything a ferret could want!!
I had never seen a ferret before!! She is the
sweetest little thing, we named her SWEETIE PIE!

March 8, 2009 at 4:29 pm
(53) Kathleen says:

Jailbird is her name. I went to the pet store. Of course, I had to look at the ferrets. My boyfriend, Jeff and I walked over to the cages and one bit my sleeve. She would not let go. Then Jeff and I had to hurry to a Dr.s appointment. On the way there I said ” Jailbird, wanted to come home with us.” He was surprised I already named her. When we got to the Dr. I asked everybody if they would have bought Jailbird. The secretary said yes the Dr said I am not getting invoved then, a patient said go buy her. Out of guilt Jeff and I went and bought her. We all love her and don’t regret buying her.

March 11, 2009 at 12:13 am
(54) Charlotte says:

ok so im a serious anime freak and i was watching “naruto” on youtube when my mum and step-dad came back with a ferret, so i took her upstairs and i started watching naruto again,i was looking down at her and the name temari poped up. she just looked like a “Temari” and thats how she got her name

March 14, 2009 at 11:38 pm
(55) LORI says:

Twister was a little tornado,Ying and Yang were cage mates,one light one dark when curled up together they resembled a ying-yang symbol.Carol was a christmas present and is very vocal when out playing so she is my christmas carol,Meeko is the toy and treat thief like the racoon from pocohantas,Bear is half angora large sable male with all the thick lush fur he looks like a bear,and Noel was a christmas angel that I recieved for christmas several years back who passed in her sleep of old age and was buried in my bed of roses during the first snow of the season.

March 19, 2009 at 5:03 pm
(56) JessC says:

I have two ferrets, a girl and a boy. Their names are Lola and Leonidas (Leo). Lola came from the song, we heard it on the way home from the pet store and thought it was perfect. Leonidas is the King of Sparta, we love that movie!!

March 20, 2009 at 5:41 pm
(57) Lindsey says:

I named my beautiful boys Milo and Otis from that little kids adventure that my Grandma used to watch with me. We also used to have Mookie and Stinky Pete RIP. All are the loves of my life.

March 28, 2009 at 11:52 pm
(58) Gypsy Rose Steinmann says:

I have had many ferrets since I was a child. I remember each and every name they have had and it all started with Ozzie Super Dave Osborne, When Ozzie first came to me he already had the name Ozzie, but, Super Dave came from him falling out the window and I had to put his little legs back in their sockets because when he fell he popped his little legs out of joint. So about a month later he wnet to sleep in a carpet that was to be shaken out of the window. No one knew he was in the carpet, and when it unfurled out the window he slid down with the oh no expression on his face. Osborne, because we lived on Osborne but it went with the rest of the name. Then there was Porchea, Tara, freddie frankie,snark the carpet shark, Fergie,Because she was handled by the Dutchess of York. Springer, because he loved Jerry Springer, and now we have Green Tara. Named after the Goddess. My uncle’s name is Graham Welstead. Hr has written a book or two on ferrets and he lives in Surry England. He also owns the ferret and ferreting association of Surry England.I thank you for your time, your friend and well wisher Gypsy Rose Steinmann. what is a URL? this is the first I have heard of one.

March 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm
(59) Stephanie says:

Since I’m a huge Disney fan and since both my male ferrets are brothers and fight all the time–I named them Fritz and Ernst from Swiss Family Robinson. The names fit perfectly.

March 31, 2009 at 7:30 pm
(60) Amber says:

Bartleby and Loki the Norse Gods of mischif and chaos Miso after the Japanese soup, and lastly Nichodemus from the Rats of NIMH

April 13, 2009 at 10:17 pm
(61) michael says:

I named my ferret Dixie.

April 14, 2009 at 9:55 am
(62) Laurinda says:

My little girl ferret is named “Ronita” after my last late little girl “Rona” who was named after a bottle of Corona beer. (the next up was the coronita beer) Three years ago I took in a little boy,Taco,(I changed his name) who at that time was almost 4 years old, his owner had to go to college and had to leave him with his parents, so I now have two little babies pooping all over the house. I do not cage mine, they are toooo active and need to jump around. (yes, my home is ferret proof)

April 17, 2009 at 4:34 am
(63) Brother Tim says:

My furry friend and fellow-blogger was Wally da Weasel. He made many posts over the years on my blog, under the heading, ‘Wally’s Soapbox’. I gave him the name, because he just looked like a ‘Wally’ to me.

After reading of his passing, a very generous lady offered us a quite chubby 9 month old, named Moose. He got his name honestly.

April 21, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(64) punkassdissident says:

Got my female ferret three years ago from a drug dealer. She was already appropriately named: Slink.

April 22, 2009 at 6:18 pm
(65) Sam says:

Names of some of my ferrets, present and past:
Scritch, Wild Thing, Deezel, Powerpuff, Mocha, Cubby, Jaws, Chase, Beautte (like Butte, Montana).

April 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm
(66) Unknown says:

mines name is Zaylor

April 28, 2009 at 10:45 am
(67) Kayla says:

I have a lizzie, because she slithers like a lizard,

I have a boo, because she loves hide and seek

And i Have a Pickel, because shes my little dill Pickel and when i got her she was that size and now she is my little fatty patty.

April 28, 2009 at 8:52 pm
(68) Jessica says:

My first was named Kyrie, then there was Mika, Drizzt, Hestia, Azrael, Stokes, Adordan, Rokka and now we have the newest baby, Cleo-Patra :P

April 28, 2009 at 10:57 pm
(69) crissy ramirez says:

I have twp female ferrets one named cinnamon and another albino named sugar. I think not only do the names fit physically but too there personalities. Cinnamon is a little spicey and kinds firey ferret and sugar is real sweet and innocent. I couldn’t have picked better names for them if i tried.

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 am
(70) tina says:

we have 2 lovely ferrets, both boys. minky was named so because he reminded us of the 70s slinkys that went down stairs, so slinky became minky, nipper doesnt take much explaining! he loves to nip feet in or out of socks, smelly or clean!

May 2, 2009 at 11:07 pm
(71) Patti says:

Our 1st ferret was named Jimmy the Weasel…I always called him Jimmijames and my friend knighted him and he became Sir Jimmijames. Our 2 babies are named Pedie after Dustin Pedroia and Tek after Jason Varitek of the Boston Red Sox.

May 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm
(72) ally says:

my babies names are yoshi[boy] and my little girls name is princess peach =]

May 19, 2009 at 8:47 am
(73) Skippy! The Wonder Horse says:

We just got two ferrets (and are considering a third!) and we named them:

Sage
Possum (aka Awesome Possum)

Sage is kind of a regular pretty girl ferret, semi exotic color, and sage was the first name that came to mind. Possum, on the other hand, is colored JUST like a possum! grey body, white head/shoulders.. only thing he is missing is the pink tail!

May 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm
(74) Josh says:

Kodo and Podo for my pair of mischeif making furballs
Beastmaster lol dork i know

May 21, 2009 at 4:50 pm
(75) Marie S. says:

I named my 2 ferrets Marley and Mia. Since recently viewing the movie “Marley and Me” the name Marley sounded good as I was bringing home a butterscotch colored, very active boy. A week later I purchased a little girl and at first I was going to name her “Me” but I thought Mia was cuter. I now call Mia my ‘little monkey mia’. I am a new ferret owner and I just love it… even though I feel like I have been hit by a truck from all the cage assembling,crawling, playing and climbing in and out of the playpen with them. lol I guess it’s a lot like yoga!

May 22, 2009 at 12:51 pm
(76) Jesi says:

I named my ferret Maurice (Mo-Mo for short) It just fits him! :)

May 27, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(77) Brittnie says:

I got my first ferret and found out she was born on 420 which is a holiday known for smoking weed. So I named my female ferret Buddie. It was half because of her birthday and half because when she would do something wrong I’d be like hey buddy or oh no I don’t think so buddy! So it fit. Now, I love her like my own child and it really fits her. She’s my BEST friend. So I love this name for her. My second ferret I got on the 22nd of this month, and he looks just like a snickers bar. And eventually his nickname became Snick, and saint nick. Or nickity nick. My next ferret will be named trace. Because when the ferrets get out of there cage they are gone without a trace!! ;)

May 31, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(78) tiffany says:

Well i got my first ferret 3 years ago and named him Reno(i call him reno-beano baby)and last years i decided he needed a friend so we got him a girlfriend and her name is gretchen and it fits because to me that is a “mean” name and she is just that to me anyway nobody else….and 3 months ago i bought a baby boy and named him cha-chi, he is adorable, they all are and i love them to death there family!

June 2, 2009 at 2:22 pm
(79) Tyler says:

i have a male and female ferret, the male is almost a year and the female is 10 weeks. Thier names are oscar and claire